Naturally, as this is only her 2nd birthday her list isn’t really curated by her, but for her. It’s hard to just ask a nearly 2-year-old what they want! That said I know what she likes and what she plays with so the 2nd birthday gift ideas that I came up with I really think she will enjoy and so will the 2-year-old in your life!
These 2nd birthday gift ideas are just that; IDEAS
I want to stress that in no way do I expect or want Bitty to receive all of the things on this 2nd birthday gift ideas list. This is just a well-rounded list that covers all the bases of ideas for the type of things that I think she and most any other toddler would enjoy playing with!
Some of these items are on her birthday list and other are things that she already owns BUT if your 2-year-old doesn’t have I would recommend for sure! I will make sure and note these items
This post contains some affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive a small commission from if you follow and decide to purchase. There would be no additional cost to you!
Gift Ideas for your 2-year-old
At two; role-play, matching and patterning are just starting to develop and I am excited to play some of these with her!
- Magnetic fishing game – This just seems like a fun toy to add to sensory bins
- Creature matching game – I am by no means a strict follower of Montessori methods but I do love that they stress real-life pictures and these are great for animal recognition as well as matching
- Plan Toys Doctor Role Play Set – role play is still a little out of her skill range but it’s coming and the doctor is a great one to start with
- Sarahs Silks – such a great open-ended toy, ours are used every day
- Hape Fix it Kids Tool Box – this is probably out of her still range just yet but I wanted a toolset so she could role play with the tools like her dad and me!
- Learning Resources Farmers Market Color Sorting – perfect for any little chef and great for color sorting!
- Yookidoo Spin and Sort Spout Pro – we are still rocking her original bathtub toys and she is so over them so I think this will be lots of fun for her
- Spirit Riding Free Horse – this is a very specific idea for Bitty she is obsessed with horses and I really think she would enjoy this.
- Color matching Mosaic Pegboard – this reminds me of a light bright but toddler safe and I love that idea!
- Haba Palette of Pegs – we actually found a way to DIY this. Be on the lookout for that!
Gross Motor : Get those muscles moving and growing
If you’re little is anything like mine. The perfect 2nd birthday gift ideas would be all about gross motor movement. She has always been very focused on maximum effort and getting her body going.
- Balance Beam – we are actually making this for her. Its nothing special but I think it will be a fun addition to the back yard.
- Gong Riverstones – These are something I would love to add to our collection as her motor skills keep improving
- Mini Trampoline – We are currently really enjoying jumping and I think that this would be a fun way to burn some energy!
- Balance Bike – We stumbled upon a used Strider bike a few months back and I had no intentions of passing it up so she got that birthday present early
- Wobble Board – This was another used treasure we found and there was no way I was leaving it behind. Without a doubt, this is one of our favorite toys
Animals : What toddler doesn’t love them?
We are slowing collection a zoo of our own for small world play. We have started collecting a number of different brands but our favorites are Schleich, Papo, Safari Ltd and CollectA
- Wild Life Starter Set and Wild Life Value Pack
- Desert Animals like the Camel and snake
- Arctic Animals like the Seal and Snow Leopard
- Ocean animals like the Octopus and the Sea turtle
- Australian animals like the Emu and frilled lizard
Building : blocks are great for 2nd birthday gift ideas
What 2nd birthday gift ideas list would be complete without some blocks? Some toddlers are super into building but we are just starting to stack over here. Blocks are a never-fail idea!
- Lego Duplo creative box – we are all about the Lego life in this house so I’m excited to introduce these to her
- Guidecraft Treasure Blocks – We are always finding treasures. I love this idea for a way to add them into more play!
- Magformers Dinosaur set – These have some fun curved pieces that could be interesting.
- Magnatiles Stardust Set – she received these a little early and LOVES the mirror tiles
- Magnatiles Polygon Expansion – This one is for her daddy. Some more complicated shapes for him to build with.
Art Supplies : such a great outlet for toddlers
Toddlers are really working on pencil grasp and fine motor skills every time they color. Playdough, stickers, and painting are all great sensory activities too. So as far as I am concerned bring on the art supplies!
- Kwik Stix – I have never tried these but I have read tons of great reviews and I am interested in them!
- Clay Rolling pins – she loves watching me roll out her play dough and I thought these textured rollers would be fun
- Clay Stamp set – playdough play and this age is often about mark-making and textures. These seemed like a great addition
- Magna Doodle – a great travel toy
- Aqua Doodle – similar to the ever-popular water wows but more open-ended!
Puzzles : time to challenge those growing 2 year old brains
Puzzles are so good for little brains and we needed an update to match her growing skill. Now if only there was a better way to store all these puzzles!
- Hape Wooden Peg Puzzle – this is a real challenge and I love that you can break it down to one part and work with just that and add more over time
- Hape Emergency vehicles – similar to most peg puzzles but the picture under isn’t an exact matchmaking it a little tougher
- Head to Tail Puzzle – a great way to introduce jigsaw style puzzles
- Petit Collage beginner puzzle – slightly more complicated jigsaw style puzzle with adorable art
- HABA perfect pairs – great for sorting colors and matching shapes
Books : with more complicated pictures and stories
Never fail 2nd birthday gift ideas are books! When asked what Bitty wants I always answer books. They are at the prime age to love books and reading and its so important to encourage that!
- Edible colors & Edible Numbers – these look like so much fun and a great way to practice out colors and numbers
- Usborne Big Book of ABC – we won’t be focusing on letter anytime soon but she is starting to point out letters and it can’t hurt to start talking more about them
- Usborne very first book of things to spot at home – great for really getting her thinking and paying attention to details.
- Let’s Find Momo – another version of a look and find book, but photo-based versus illustration
- Littler Excavator – I read this countless times as a nanny and it is one of the few that I still love to this day and I really need to add it to her library.
Other 2nd birthday gift ideas
Naturally is category will be very specific to your 2-year-olds need but here are a few things that she has either received and LOVED or would really be happy with.
- Backpack – we ended up picking this up for our flights for our big family vacation and she loves this thing asks to bring it with us everywhere.
- Rain boots – This was a mom request and has gone over great. She didn’t have any waterproof boots at all and these are quickly becoming her favorite shoes
- Cowboy Boots – Every little kid needs a pair of cowboy boots its just fact.
- Electric Toothbrush – tooth brushing has become a bit of a challenge, so hoping that an electric toothbrush might make it go a little smoother/be more effective for the split second she lets us brush for…lol
- Camelbak water bottles – these have been our go-to water bottles for a while but if you’re still rocking the baby sippy cup it’s probably time to upgrade to something a bit bigger!
What was a favorite gift of yours?
I hope these 2nd birthday gifts help you find something new and exciting for the 2-year-old in your life. I know that I am excited to watch the new play that they spark! Do you have any ideas that I missed? Or if you’re little already celebrated their 2nd birthday what was their favorite gift?
If you want to see some other ideas make sure and check out my Pinterest I feel like I am always adding toys to that list, just so I don’t forget to check into them!
Other Posts You May Like