The holiday season seems like it is on everyone’s mind, myself included. Here is my 1 year old gift guide for the Holiday 2022 season. This guide is geared toward brand-new 1 year olds.
My 1-year-old gift guide was actually fairly easy to compile!
Shopping for kid number two is a little different than your first. Most of the things you NEED you probably still have, not to mention lots of stuff you probably don’t NEED…
For the 1 year old gift guide, I took the opportunity to alter our baby/ young toddler toy selection. When Bitty was this age I was JUST starting to figure out how to implement more Montessori in our home. I have since learned a lot more and I am hoping to use that knowledge to select toys and items that are simpler and offer just the right kind of challenges!
I created my 1 year old gift guide to cover all the basics I could think of for a young toddler who spends the majority of their time at home. I am in no way suggesting you NEED all of the items I list below I am nearly listing our personal favorites that have stood the test of time or our wish list items. Hopefully, this sparks some ideas for your own 1 year old’s wish list!
Looking for a different Age?
3 YEAR OLDS
2 YEAR OLDS
This post contains some affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. I may receive a small commission from if you follow and decide to purchase. There would be no additional cost to you!
FREE PLAY TOYS
- Babydoll – soft body or hard body – we are going with a full hard body so that it will sit and but a full soft body would be great for cuddling!
- Object Permanence Box
- Stuffed Animals Wild Republic
- Dimple toy
- Ball Run – lots of options on the market, I would go larger and sturdier so your 1 year old can stand with it without it tipping over
- Smartmax Sounds and Senses Rattles – your baby’s first magnetic building pieces
- Wooden Drum – any musical instrument would be fun but you know how they like to hit things. lol
- Play Food – the color sorting set would be great for learning activities and the Mealtime set would be great for role play
- Hide and Squeak Eggs – I don’t understand it but miss Bean LOVES this thing.
FINE MOTOR & PUZZLES
- Galt Pop up Toy
- Coin Box
- Haba Pallet of Pegs
- Hide & Seek Board – these doors are so much fun and the magnets are great for sorting and matching
- Latches Board – your 1 year old won’t be able to do the latches for quite some time. but this board bought us SO much sanity on car trips and its great fine motor practice too!
- Shape Sorter – be careful here. Keep it as SIMPLE as you can. Too many shape sorters have too many blocks and shapes and holes and it totally overwhelms them.
- Stacking Cups – any stacking cups would be great but I love these wooden ones
- Single shape puzzles – isolating skills and work on one at a time until more challenge is needed
- Nest and Stack Cubes – these are made of cardboard so are prone to damage. Just an FYI.
- Knobbed Circle puzzle – the progression of shape puzzle after single shapes are mastered
- Chunky Puzzles
- Radio Flyer Walker Wagon – make sure it’s sturdy and won’t tip easily. Also rubber wheels.
- Ride-on Toy – again make sure it’s sturdy and won’t tip easy!
- Pikler Triangle – seriously the BEST for burning energy and teaching your 1 year old about body awareness!
- Crawl and Climb set/nugget
- Pull along puppy
- Pacifiers – whatever flavor your 1 year old prefers. Glow in the dark was a game-changer for us!
- Teethers – OR just get a pack of silicone straws. Trust me you’ll thank me when those molars start to come in!
- Play silks
- Animal figures – go with the larger ones right now and a few from a specific biome. Think Farm or Safari or Ocean
- Toothbrush – There is a good chance that your 1 year old has teeth and will be getting more and the time to start brushing was like yesterday so start now and build a good habit.
- Grippy booties – you may be walking already or will be soon so grippy are key and I love how well these stay on their feet!
SENSORY & ART
- Chunky Crayons
- Washable fingerpaint
- No spill paint cups
- Water Caligraphy mat
- Art smock
- Magnetic doodle board
- Tactile books – That’s not my Flamingo
- Study lift the flap – Little Red Barn
- Photo Real – Babies and Doggies book
- Indestructible Books – Baby Lets Eat
- Non Fiction Board Books
- First photo album